[Idr] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-08: (with DISCUSS)

Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 06 May 2020 11:58 UTC

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, idr@ietf.org, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, jgs@juniper.net, shares@ndzh.com
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 04:58:20 -0700
Subject: [Idr] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-08: (with DISCUSS)

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change-08: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-capabilities-registry-change/

DISCUSS:

[corrected] I mistook the IETF review policy for the content of the IESG
Approval.

This is a discuss point, but I don't want the document to go forward before
this discussion has concluded.

In section 3 the following statement is done:

   Note: a separate "owner" column is not provided because the owner of
   all registrations, once made, is "IESG".

The IESG has discussed this and are currently of the opinion that registrations
done by IETF documents should be "owned" by IETF. We are in the process of
establishing an IETF consensus on this. There is currently a draft on this:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations/ Reasons
for this are several, consistency to intended state, making it clear that it is
the IETF that owns IETF specification based registry entries, not created
management bodies, thirdly one can replace the IESG with soemthing else without
having to update all these registries.

Section 3.

Looking at the table. I see no explanation in this document to these entries.
Still you want to add them with this document as reference. Can you please add
an explanation behind the values being registered in the below table?

   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   | Value | Description                                | Reference /  |
   |       |                                            | Change       |
   |       |                                            | Controller   |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  128  | Prestandard Route Refresh (deprecated)     | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  129  | Prestandard Outbound Route Filtering       | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated),        prestandard Routing   | document)    |
   |       | Policy Distribution (deprecated)           |              |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  130  | Prestandard Outbound Route Filtering       | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated)                               | document)    |
   +-------+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
   |  131  | Prestandard Multisession (deprecated)      | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   |  184  | Prestandard FQDN (deprecated)              | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |
   |  185  | Prestandard OPERATIONAL message            | (this        |
   |       | (deprecated)                               | document)    |
   |  255  | Reserved                                   | (this        |
   |       |                                            | document)    |