Re: [Idr] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4271 (5001)

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Wed, 19 April 2017 18:45 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <aretana@cisco.com>, "John G. Scudder" <jgs@juniper.net>
CC: "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:45:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [Idr] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC4271 (5001)

Alvaro, John, all

I may have one comment. Please see inline.

> From Alvaro Retana (aretana)  > Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:01 PM
>
 > [Cut the distribution.]
 >
 > idr WG:
 >
 > I think this report is a lot clearer than the other one John filed (#5000), so I am going to
 > mark this one as “Hold for Document Update” [1].
 >
 > Just because this report is related to the use of “MAY NOT” I will wait until we resolve the
 > other one just in case.
 >
 > Thanks!
 >
 > Alvaro.
 >
 > [1] https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/errata-processing.html
 >

 > On 4/19/17, 1:40 PM, "RFC Errata System" <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org> wrote:
 >
 > The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4271,
 > "A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)".
 >
 > --------------------------------------
 > You may review the report below and at:
 > http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4271&eid=5001
 >
 > --------------------------------------
 > Type: Technical
 > Reported by: John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>
 >
 > Section: 5
 >
 > Original Text
 > -------------
 >    BGP implementations MUST recognize all well-known attributes.  Some
 >    of these attributes are mandatory and MUST be included in every
 >    UPDATE message that contains NLRI.  Others are discretionary and MAY
 >    or MAY NOT be sent in a particular UPDATE message.
 >

 > Corrected Text
 > --------------
 >    BGP implementations MUST recognize all well-known attributes.  Some
 >    of these attributes are mandatory and MUST be included in every
 >    UPDATE message that contains NLRI.  Others are discretionary and
 >    sending them in a particular UPDATE message is OPTIONAL.

IMHO, OPTIONAL may not be what was intended.
As per RFC 2119 " the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that an item is
   truly optional.  One vendor may choose to include the item because a
   particular marketplace requires it or because the vendor feels that
   it enhances the product while another vendor may omit the same item."

Here, I think that the original intention was to say that the attribute MAY be sent if appropriate and MAY be omitted if appropriate. IOW, it is _not_ REQUIRED to always send it.

As an example, quickly parsing RFC 4171, it does not seem to indicate whether the LOCAL_PREF attribute is mandatory or discretionary. But given that it is well-known, as per §5, it can only be mandatory or discretionary. Given that it usually does not appear in EBGP session, I would argue that it is not mandatory, hence discretionary. But I don't think that we could say that sending the attribute LOCAL_PREF is OPTIONAL given that RFC 4271 mandates its use in IBGP (plus not sending it on some IBGP sessions would create forwarding loops).

I may propose the follow text: Others are discretionary and may or may not be sent in a particular UPDATE message
Or: Others are discretionary and are not required to be sent in all UPDATE message

--Bruno