Re: [Idr] Call for IETF112 IDR agenda items

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Fri, 22 October 2021 13:02 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Robert Raszuk' <robert@raszuk.net>
Cc: "'Dongjie (Jimmy)'" <jie.dong@huawei.com>, "'idr@ietf. org'" <idr@ietf.org>, 'idr-chairs' <idr-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:02:00 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] Call for IETF112 IDR agenda items

Robert:

Good question.   Thanks for asking it.

Flow specification v2 (FSv2) and Flow specification v1 (FSv1)  are running ships in the night.

What I understand about ships in the night:

1)  Operators and implementations may configure the FSv1 and FSv2 separately to run on some BGP peers over some interfaces.

2) Configuring how your FSv1 and FSv2 impact the filters in your forwarding database (because of ships in the night) is also up to the operators and the configuration.

What the rules of order were for:

1) Ordering has a been a problem in FSV1.   The rules in FSv2 provide a deterministic order for every case I could consider.

2) One of the FSv2 ordering issue is where to put FSV1 (which does not have an order)

Note:  Both filters and actions were defined to be “user-ordered”  - for flexible

I will refine the text state the purpose behind the rules are  a “rule of thumb” to help provide deterministic ordering.

Sue