[Idr] Warren Kumari's Yes on draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Mon, 22 May 2017 16:45 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-idr-shutdown@ietf.org, Susan Hares <skh@ndzh.com>, aretana@cisco.com, idr-chairs@ietf.org, skh@ndzh.com, idr@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 09:45:03 -0700
Subject: [Idr] Warren Kumari's Yes on draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-shutdown-08: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-shutdown/

COMMENT:

Having had to deal with many instances of "<ring ring>Hey, my BGP session
with you just went down, whatsup?!", "Yes, it's a maintenance. I sent you
mail about it last month, then last week, then this morning, then 5
minutes before pulling the session. You even generated a ticket for me,
it's # [1432323] 'kthnxbye...<click>" I think that this is the best thing
since sliced bread (of course, I also thought jabber over BGP was
cool).

Some nits:
2.  Shutdown Communication
Shutdown Communication:  to support international characters, the
      Shutdown Communication field MUST be encoded using UTF-8.
perhaps:
"MUST be encoded using UTF-8 "Shortest Form" encoding"? (from Security
Considerations) - or Alexey Melnikov's suggestion...

Also, *perhaps* it is worth noting that it might be possible for someone
to send:
'BGP going down\nMay 22 11:19:12 rtr1 mib2d[42]: SNMP_TRAP_LINK_TYPE:
ifIndex 501, ifOperStatus "Interface is a small turnip", ifName
ge-1/2/3'
and that logging of these should strip control characters. This may
already be covered in syslog...