Re: [Idr] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idr-bgp-identifier-09.txt

"Ilya Varlashkin" <Ilya.Varlashkin@de.easynet.net> Wed, 14 May 2008 10:07 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:29:09 +0200
From: Ilya Varlashkin <Ilya.Varlashkin@de.easynet.net>
To: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idr-bgp-identifier-09.txt
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

I've looked at the draft and in current state there are potentially
problems with sections 2.3 and 4 as follow:

Consider existing iBGP session within AS-A where identifier of the
remote side is X, and then new session connection comes from AS-B but
also having BGP identifier of X. If AS-B is numerically larger than
AS-A, then according to section 2.3 of the draft iBGP session towards
router with id X should be closed. This is security issue - an attacker
with high AS number could deliberately set router-id to be same as some
other router of a peering network (they may or may not be penalised for
this but perhaps they want to do it anyway), effectively causing
shutdown of iBGP session in remote AS. Nevertheless, section 4 of the
draft says that security issues are not changed by the draft - I believe
they're, and they make protocol weaker than original spec.

If it's necessary to relax BGP ID definition and have it unique only
locally within given AS, then in all collision detections BGP ID should
only be compared when ASN are equal. If two sessions have same BGP ID on
remote end but each with different ASN, then they should be considered
as different routers.

Kind regards,
iLya