Re: [Idr] draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00.txt

Pedro Marques <pedro.r.marques@gmail.com> Fri, 29 July 2011 03:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:54:39 -0700
From: Pedro Marques <pedro.r.marques@gmail.com>
To: altonlo <altonlo@cisco.com>
Cc: Keyur Patel <keyupate@cisco.com>, idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00.txt

Alton,
I'd like to ask for a clarification as to whether you believe that the
"Legacy PE Behavior" that is described in the draft is achievable by
configuration alone, with no software changes to the PEs in question.
For instance, can the communities that are defined in the draft be
advertised by existing production software ?

If the procedure is based on configuration alone, it seems to be a
potentially very error prone method. For instance, the RT filtering
configuration could easily get out of sync with the actually VRF
configuration, making this of doubtful operational value.

If on the other hand one assumes that a software upgrade is required,
these are not longer "Legacy PEs". In the latter case this proposal
seems to be just a competing encoding for RFC4684.

I think it is perfectly valid to propose an alternate encoding but i
believe the document should be written as such and compare itself with
the previous mechanism.

regards,
  Pedro.