Re: [Idr] 2 Week WG LC on draft-ietf-idr-as-migration (4/9 to 4/23/2105

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Tue, 21 April 2015 19:26 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <aretana@cisco.com>, "amante@apple.com" <amante@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 15:26:15 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, idr wg <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] 2 Week WG LC on draft-ietf-idr-as-migration (4/9 to 4/23/2105

Alvaro, thanks for the review, a few comments below inline:

From: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <aretana@cisco.com<mailto:aretana@cisco.com>>
Date: Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:50 PM
To: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com<mailto:wesley.george@twcable.com>>, "amante@apple.com<mailto:amante@apple.com>" <amante@apple.com<mailto:amante@apple.com>>
Cc: "John G. Scudder" <jgs@juniper.net<mailto:jgs@juniper.net>>, Idr <idr@ietf.org<mailto:idr@ietf.org>>, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com<mailto:shares@ndzh.com>>

I do have one item that I think may be above “minor”: when using “Local AS”, when should the ASN be prepended?  When sending eBGP-received UPDATEs to iBGP neighbors (as it is specified currently), OR, then receiving those eBGP UPDATEs?  If it is not done when receiving, then the AS_PATH will be inconsistent in the AS (the border router will have a shorter AS_PATH).  I think this can lead to inconsistent route selection (given that the attributes are inconsistent inside the AS), but that of course may be mitigated by the fact that the application of Local AS may be towards stub networks in many (but not all) cases.   I would really like to hear others’ (beyond the authors) opinions.

WG] So it seems like we got only one opinion from Juan (though it was couched in terms of "C does this better than J") that we should change this and recommend appending when receiving, rather than when sending in order to maintain route consistency. This makes sense to me. Since Alvaro asked for other opinions, any opinions to the contrary before I assume that the WG supports this and make the change to the draft? Maybe someone from Juniper that has explanation on why they do it the other way, or was Juan mistaken in that assumption?

Minor Issues:

This document should be marked as updating rfc4271 because of the processing of the UPDATEs (section 3.3).

WG] Happy to make that change, but the reason that it wasn't there is that this isn't mandatory to implement. It's not globally changing the behavior of UPDATEs, but rather documenting how they change when this specific optional feature set is invoked. Someone recently gave me guidance on a different draft that it isn't always appropriate to have a draft update an old RFC if the new thing isn't mandatory to implement as a part of the old RFC I.e. A formal update in the metadata means that the two (or more) RFCs together represent a complete BGP implementation, while only implementing the original RFC (the one being updated) would be an incomplete implementation. I don't know if there is an official stance on this as far as the RFC series is concerned, so I'm open to do it either way, need guidance on how to proceed.

Nits:
WG] some of these are a little more than nits given that you're suggesting removing whole paragraphs. I'll take them under advisement and consultation with my co-author.

Thanks,

Wes

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I have no control over it.