Re: [Idr] draft-wu-idr-bgp-segment-allocation-ext-02.txt [4/18 - 5/2/2019] - 2 week WG adoption call

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Wed, 24 April 2019 14:23 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'li zhenqiang' <li_zhenqiang@hotmail.com>, idr@ietf.org
Cc: 'draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn' <draft-ietf-teas-enhanced-vpn@ietf.org>, 'draft-dong-lsr-sr-enhanced-vpn' <draft-dong-lsr-sr-enhanced-vpn@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 10:23:34 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-wu-idr-bgp-segment-allocation-ext-02.txt [4/18 - 5/2/2019] - 2 week WG adoption call

Zhengquiang:

<wg-chair hat on>

This is a good question to raise during the adoption of an IDR draft.

I hope that the authors of the draft and others will indicate why they desire the BGP-LS method of allocating the SIDs.  As you are aware, the NETCONF based mechanism utilize a secure transport during the allocation.  BGP SHOULD run over an authenticated transport (MD5 or better yet TLS), but all BGP peers within a network may not run over the secure transport.

<wg-chair hat off>

<wg-member hat on>

As a WG member, I realize that each network makes choices on allocating SIDs and their control path.   Some of the reasons may not be able to be disclosed on a public mailing list.  However, it would be good for the authors to provide some reasons “Why BGP-LS” for allocation.

<wg-member hat off>

Sue Hares