RE: [Idr] Re: Last Call: 'Canonical representation of 4-byte ASnumbers' to Informational RFC(draft-michaelson-4byte-as-representation)

"Bruno Rijsman" <brijsman@juniper.net> Tue, 10 October 2006 13:50 UTC

Subject: RE: [Idr] Re: Last Call: 'Canonical representation of 4-byte ASnumbers' to Informational RFC(draft-michaelson-4byte-as-representation)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:50:31 -0400
From: Bruno Rijsman <brijsman@juniper.net>
To: Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, Joe Abley <jabley@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: idr@ietf.org, John Leslie <john@jlc.net>, iesg@ietf.org

I second this, in other words: I am also in favor of simply displaying
4-octet AS numbers as (potentially large) decimal integer numbers.

There is already one widely used implementation that does just that.

The main reason for my preference is that there is no semantic
difference between 333 and 0.333: they both refer to the same autonomous
system. Consider an AS-path with traverses various islands of 2-octet
and 4-octet BGP speakers; it would probably be confusing if the AS
number flipped back and forth from 333 to 0.333.

-- Bruno