Re: [Idr] WG LC for draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Thu, 19 September 2013 14:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:11:13 -0400
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
Cc: idr wg <idr@ietf.org>, erosen@cisco.com, "'John G. Scudder'" <jgs@bgp.nu>, 'Yakov Rekhter' <yakov@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [Idr] WG LC for draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 03:03:59PM -0400, Susan Hares wrote:
> Just in case the last message on this topic got caught in August doldrums,
> we are extending the WG last call for 1 more week:
>
> IANA Registries for BGP Extended Communities
>
> draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-extcomm-iana/

As usual, I'm behind in my email.  However, I strongly support the last call
on this draft.

The life of the extended communities feature has been somewhat muddled
across its lifetime from original I-D to its RFC state.  A significant
portion of its lack of clarity has been the appearance, even though not
actually stated in the draft or other I-Ds or RFCs that add related code
points, that things are far more structured than they're really specified.

Examples as a young BGP implementor had included presuming the transitivity
bit is simply a bit rather than defining a separate code space.  The same
thing holds for the IANA bit.

Additional points of confusion have tended to include the sub-type field
which is effectively in many implementations a "format type", is shown that
this is explicitly only so for specific types - and that it may be distinct
depending on the I or T bits.

Finally, the issues surrounding allocation policy were significantly
tightened up as the original extended community drafts went from I-D to RFC,
this document further normalizes the "experimental" space as having long
lived code points in it, such as the RFC 5575 flowspec redirect-to-vrf
community.

In my opinion, this work is not only long overdue, but strongly necessary to
help avoiding further semantic drift in the extended community registries
and related accidentally incorrect implementations.

Did I mention I support this document? :-)
(And if you haven't chimed in but have a BGP implementation, you should do
so as well.)

-- Jeff