Re: [Idr] Color-only bits in draft-ietf-idr-segment-routing-te-policy

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Mon, 07 March 2022 22:06 UTC

From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 17:05:57 -0500
Cc: John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>, Sue Hares <shares@ndzh.com>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-idr-segment-routing-te-policy@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-idr-segment-routing-te-policy@ietf.org>
To: Ketan Talaulikar <ketant.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Color-only bits in draft-ietf-idr-segment-routing-te-policy

Ketan,

While I was reviewing the update you note below, I had a question regarding color extended community handling.

One of the changes the color extended community had between RFC 5512 and RFC 9012 was moving the previously Reserved field to a flags field.

In the prior context as a Reserved field, I believe many implementations treated the Color Extended Community as many BESS style Extended Communities are incidentally treated: singletons.  I.e. there should have only been a single instance of such an Extended Community on a route.

A current fault in BESS specifications is the lack of clarity for what to do for such singleton entries.  We're desperately in need of a draft discussing the matter. :-)

While I don't think this matter is something of your creation, since the SR-TE-Policy document is the first populating the Flags fields, it's perhaps important to discuss what should happen here.  Is it reasonable to think that the current desired behavior with the new flags is that it's a singleton entry and there should only be one Extended Community of type Color on a route, no matter their CO flags?  And perhaps similarly even if CO flags are present, there shouldn't be additional Extended Communities with those flags 00?

It might be useful to discuss this in the draft.

A complicating matter is whether there's ever likely to be Extended Community Colors that have other bits outside of the CO that you're defining wherein you'll want more than one Extended Community of that type.

-- Jeff