Re: [Idr] BGP autodiscovery design team

Jeff Tantsura <> Wed, 04 December 2019 20:42 UTC

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4465A12004C for <>; Wed, 4 Dec 2019 12:42:51 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.997
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.997 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=unavailable autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key)
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 0JUlzHKuJEOU for <>; Wed, 4 Dec 2019 12:42:48 -0800 (PST)
Received: from ( [IPv6:2607:f8b0:4864:20::429]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by (Postfix) with ESMTPS id B92091200A3 for <>; Wed, 4 Dec 2019 12:42:48 -0800 (PST)
Received: by with SMTP id 4so403698pfz.9 for <>; Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:42:48 -0800 (PST)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20161025; h=date:from:to:message-id:in-reply-to:references:subject:mime-version; bh=vlpOG1Ahn8Bm03IO5iT1f8BzHOkLqtqmvGg9qNjZoX0=; b=cSy0bg9/IQxtBSMS1pNBtEkxFBGpfrgPrz//WvkcIptAVBkPprTPQ59ztaEaW7VVtP GW8emhO+6z65I2yOfTldGVcJ4aYEOQ8qHchxPm7K1kSlTfBpBly5ZIIhhpiulluR4nVL uPOKclK0fK6onyMLEvFsQShqD/VTrvygZARHko+gk2aM8x06DBAdJO8vjM/ujfaDOJxR R5OvIb95VN7SoQc089BAVAU62np0Qllas1O91xX2+/LnJOcvmdyQ7er4HXM5J20f7RFe SRXHLsdbLBTzU+mkQyeSoG1Afie6qzmkZ6mTX1iMBrV+njVyKwq7P14s6svK2FIQwpw+ 0Qeg==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20161025; h=x-gm-message-state:date:from:to:message-id:in-reply-to:references :subject:mime-version; bh=vlpOG1Ahn8Bm03IO5iT1f8BzHOkLqtqmvGg9qNjZoX0=; b=arSndoQpXFejQdB26yn6m41ErEFO1qtRwpsh1+CvK9GBtOguuFoqKQnvkG2CCzvh4L RSmvV29agnJXNSmhfWp0CrOcU78g/w/jYu7P+hDMeslF6goEBlgFP4JaVdRlyhneRDUC itYguVJRbG4oLzaKkXo4SMbyZYefK3fmUOikBYCh5lmD2OJAbW9XqeGsIlsvz1ejwtiH 6Fg7aprh2Og7X1qVYXMiCeu3e1ACt6pscust/5gmay0urMFznc0pNgCQ2M0VFqNPSJGe jIzVFqDo8VZr/xwzB/j4TcnWqtg3n2DcgHbjkK0Me9ppuMMvJhVyh/wQIHOjHonlAbU/ G8Qw==
X-Gm-Message-State: APjAAAX2wDxi19PErgVBB3LPgr9/C8py+l+FAxZGfN3onTfFUnQi9EmL OR0orNvmoNQ39kWbgKWDjJ3rWC3U
X-Google-Smtp-Source: APXvYqwY8+hfm4F4+8Rj5KQZdZkYhJBful8PRZZ6NODwgzesGxDLvFajlAbN+wJ4MoXdEwzQImuJ+w==
X-Received: by 2002:a62:b411:: with SMTP id h17mr5198678pfn.221.1575492167463; Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:42:47 -0800 (PST)
Received: from [] ([]) by with ESMTPSA id z1sm9337662pfk.61.2019. (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128); Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:42:46 -0800 (PST)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 12:42:39 -0800
From: Jeff Tantsura <>
To: idr wg <>, John Scudder <>
Message-ID: <c64aa987-08c1-41ab-97e3-251991ff87e5@Spark>
In-Reply-To: <>
References: <>
X-Readdle-Message-ID: c64aa987-08c1-41ab-97e3-251991ff87e5@Spark
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="5de81a45_45e6d486_55fa"
Archived-At: <>
Subject: Re: [Idr] BGP autodiscovery design team
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: Inter-Domain Routing <>
List-Unsubscribe: <>, <>
List-Archive: <>
List-Post: <>
List-Help: <>
List-Subscribe: <>, <>
X-List-Received-Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 20:42:51 -0000


Thanks for sending out!
Count me in as a volunteer

On Dec 4, 2019, 11:33 AM -0800, John Scudder <>, wrote:
> Hi All,
> I realized this morning that although we announced in the last meeting that we’re forming this design team, we never announced it on the list. This is to correct that mistake. Here’s the text of the slide we presented at the meeting (
> ---
> Autodiscovery
> • Clear interest in WG to work on this topic.
> • No clear consensus on a specific approach.
> • Proposals (four of them) progressively closer semantically, seems likely convergence can happen.
> • But, important differences remain.
> • At least: transport (L2, L3), liveness, security, maybe multihop.
> • Chairs propose to charter a design team to close on a single proposal, by next meeting.
> • Might build on one of the existing drafts, might be a new draft, up to the design team.
> • Emphasis on pragmatism, OK to limit applicability (for example, to a single administrative domain).
> • Questions? Comments? Volunteers?
> —
> We are in the process of forming the team and hope to announce it soon. We have many good volunteers already but if you didn’t know and do want to volunteer, please contact Sue and me.
> Note that the design team will not make any binding decisions: as with all WG work, the WG has the final word, so any output of the DT will serve as input to the WG as a whole. (So even if you aren’t part of the DT, that doesn’t mean you won’t have a chance to be part of the process.)
> Thanks,
> —John
> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list