Re: [Idr] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-as-migration-06: (with DISCUSS)

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Fri, 18 September 2015 14:17 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <aretana@cisco.com>, Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 10:16:42 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-ietf-idr-as-migration@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-idr-as-migration@ietf.org>, "idr-chairs@ietf.org" <idr-chairs@ietf.org>, "shares@ndzh.com" <shares@ndzh.com>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-as-migration-06: (with DISCUSS)

Though I do not want to see this document delayed any more, I would
actually prefer not to change the introduction unless WG consensus
changes. This was DISCUSSed (and discussed) during evaluation of -03, and
this was my response to Pete at the time:

"This one is a little bit of a grey area. It doesn't strictly require
interoperability, because its functionality is local to a given BGP
speaker. It doesn't make changes to the BGP Protocol per se but it does
describe the current behavior of something implemented in multiple
vendor-specific methods so that desired behavior is documented for future
implementers. While it is optional, it does modify BGP's behavior from the
strict interpretation of the relevant RFCs, and that could technically be
considered a protocol change. Since it was a question as to which status
(PS vs info) was appropriate, we solicited WG consensus, and PS was the
recommendation.
Some of the language used is to reflect the intent to codify existing
behavior so that as future changes to BGP are contemplated (most notably,
BGPSec), this is considered part of the protocol so that it doesn't get
"broken"."

The abstract and intro attempt to acknowledge this fact. I'm open to
suggestions on wording changes to make it clearer, but I do think that the
text that is there is useful and should not be removed altogether.

Thanks,

Wes

On 9/16/15, 11:38 PM, "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <aretana@cisco.com> wrote:

>On 9/16/15, 1:57 PM, "iesg on behalf of Ben Campbell"
><iesg-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of ben@nostrum.com> wrote:
>
>Ben:
>
>Hi!
>
>>So, I think there is a misalignment. If the intent is indeed to define a
>>standard, then I suggest the abstract and first paragraph of introduction
>>be rewritten to align with that. If not, then it shouldn't be standards
>>track nor update 4271.
>
>Yes, we¹ll clean up the Introduction.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Alvaro.

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.