Subject: [Idr] draft-spaghetti-idr-bgp-sendholdtimer - Feedback requested

From: Ben Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 14:47:35 +0100

Hi IDR folk,

In response to previous discussion over BGP protocol interactions with
TCP Zero Windows
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/idr/L9nWFBpW0Tci0c9DGfMoqC1j_sA/)
me (who is new to the IETF, so please forgive me for my inevitable
errors) and Job Snijders have decided to attempt to address this and
focus discussion on handling this case with a internet draft, the gist
of it in the abstract of the draft so I won't re-word it here :)

--
   This document defines the SendHoldTimer session attribute for the
   Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) Finite State Machine (FSM).  A session
   should be terminated if the TCP receive window is zero for the
   duration of the Send Hold Timer, in this situation the peer is
   expected to terminate the connection.  For robustness, this document
   specifies that the local system should also close the connection.
   This document updates RFC4271.
--

We submitted our first draft today (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-spaghetti-idr-bgp-sendholdtimer/
) and we are looking for feedback knowing that it is not complete but
is likely in a state for some discussion.

Since this draft tweaks the BGP FSM, we would like to make sure that
it's done correctly and so we are soliciting help from this working
group.

We already have a test BGP speaker that triggers some of these zero
window edge cases. If that helps, please get in touch with us for the
peering information.

Looking forward to feedback!
Ben