Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-varlashkin-bgp-nh-cost-02 as IDR WG document?

"UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com> Sun, 27 November 2011 01:21 UTC

From: "UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com>
To: "'robert@raszuk.net'" <robert@raszuk.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 01:21:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.197.180]
Cc: "idr@ietf.org List" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-varlashkin-bgp-nh-cost-02 as IDR WG document?

Comments In-Line..

Jim Uttaro

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Raszuk [mailto:robert@raszuk.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:21 PM
To: UTTARO, JAMES
Cc: 'Anton Elita'; idr@ietf.org List

James,

 > First of I do not anticipate having to send more than two paths for
 > almost all cases.

Great that you said this. As tier 1 I have 25 paths for each b_net. I
have a path for each of my peering point with other tier1s or tier2s

How do I figure which ones are optimal for the client or group of
clients located in the same POP from the route reflector pov ?
[Jim U>] I believe that there should be some determination made as to what to flood.. I wasn't actually thinking of it from a topology sense but from a perspective of which prefixes should get the enhanced service definition above and beyond a traditional internet definition..
[Jim U>] Hmm I guess I am not understanding this. I am under the impression that path P1 is learned from let's say 25 different peering points.. first let's examine let's examine P1 from Peer A and Peer B where these two peers are close together.. The RR serving these two POPs would forward either P1:NH=A and P1:NH=B to RR1 based on its local BGP Table that has been statically configured (Ouch) .. If RR1 also learns P1:NH=C then you want the RR1 to evaluate the BGP "Cost" and select the NH with the best IGP cost.. is that right? Ok So RR1 has statically accumulated the cost from itself to RR and to the egress peer?  Is it really your intention to create unique tables at every point in the network which would essentially be an IGP graph of the topology using the local node as the root.. That is an operational nightmare and probably a catastrophe.. Again as I stated before there is no way to adapt to a changing topology due to failure or maintenance.. can you address that..

It is not clear how sub-optimal the selection of P1 with addpaths=2 would be. Certainly there are other metrics i.e AS-PATH length which will immediately paths Again to our ex.. with addpaths=2 in the RR topology you would always send the two best IGP paths based on cost.. If you do this at every point how sub-optimal could it be?  Have you done an analysis of this... That would be a good addition to the draft as it would clear up any confusion in terms of addpaths applicability and the need for this draft..

With add-paths or without add-paths the problem to be solved remains
exactly the same.

Problem goes away only in the following cases:

- if you have only 1 path for all prefixes,
- if you have only 2 paths max for all prefixes,
- if you decide to send _all_ my domain external paths to all clients ..
in the above case 25 paths ! Sorry ... bad idea.

 > The AIGP metric is used to carry the "cost" to the NH of the path..

AIGP is completely irrelevant here. In fact it is a pretty poor design
choise to choose a path for all clients based on AIGP metric or IGP
metric from the point of view of control plane route reflector in a
given AS.

Keep in mind that AIGP is relevant only when number of ASes are under
the same administration. Not that common case in the Internet :)Usually
folks do know how to run single AS globally without any issues.

The problem which needs to be solved is to provide information to the RR
in order for RR client to be able to receive optimal paths - optimal for
example to follow hot potato routing requirements in a given AS.

If one would follow AIGP metric some control plane RR clients may
clearly get not optimal exit paths from the AS they reside point of view.
[Jim U>] I thought you wanted an RR-client ( PE ) to select the best egress NH for a given path..Assuming a BGP 3107 design with AIGP ( pseudo IGP )

Best,
R.