Re: [Idr] additional mic comments on security/IPsec

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 08 August 2019 17:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 12:59:48 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "Hu, Jun (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <jun.hu@nokia.com>
Cc: "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] additional mic comments on security/IPsec

On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 10:29:16PM +0000, Hu, Jun (Nokia - US/Mountain View) wrote:
> Hi Ben,
> Thanks for your comments, my replies are in line as [Hu Jun]

Thanks for clarifying.  The last one especially is probably worth
emphasizing in the documents we produce, but also to note that it is
important for the policy ("local list") to be able to change over time as
best practices change.

> It's also important to remind ourselves what the goal of using IPsec is -- IIRC all the schemes presented are using ESP, and so desire data confidentiality.  But confidentiality from whom, and the authentication of the peer remain important questions.  If the configuration obtained via BGP influences how we determine what the valid peer identities are, then we could end up producing a "secure" IPsec ESP connection to a peer that we've "successfully authenticated", and yet still not achieve the data confidentiality that we intended, if the peer we authenticated is actually an attacker.  In a single administrative domain (as in Jun's draft) where the BGP messages with configuration are already going over (preconfigured) IPSec, there is unlikely to be any problem, but once we start getting into scenarios with multiple administrative domains the analysis can get a lot more complicated.
>
> [Hu Jun] with my draft, the BGP is not necessary running over a preconfigure IPsec tunnel; in fact, since the purpose of draft is to make IPsec config provision simpler, I expect there is no pre-configured IPsec in common cases; but I don't think it is an issue even BGP is not running over IPsec, as long as the both sides have IKEv2 auth credential that ties to its identity (e.g. tunnel endpoint address) , e.g. a certificate issued by a trusted CA, existing IKEv2 authentication mechanism will make sure peer is authenticated;
> In case of multi admin domains, it is more complex, but is still doable as long as all domains agree on IKEv2 auth method and credentials (e.g. trusted CA), and some local mechanism to make sure for which domain use which auth method and credential (for example: for domain-1 uses IPsec config color-1 , auth method certificate, trust-CA: CA-1, for domain-2 uses IPsec config color-2 , auth method certificate, trust-CA: CA-2)

Indeed, this then becomes an authorization problem/question.  For the
single admin domain, what you describe is in effect using a very weak
authorization policy of "anyone that my trusted CA has certified is
authorized to talk to me", and as you note, that authorization policy
doesn't cut it anymore in the multi-admin-domain case.  Most likely the
specific authorization policy in use will be a matter of site policy, so
all we can do is provide guidance on what attributes to consider in setting
that policy.

-Ben