Re: Who needs X.500 or Whois++?

Rik Drummond <drummond@onramp.net> Fri, 05 July 1996 15:39 UTC

Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 09:42:31 -0500
To: Martin Hamilton <martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk>, Leslie Daigle <leslie@bunyip.com>
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Rik Drummond <drummond@onramp.net>
Subject: Re: Who needs X.500 or Whois++?
Cc: D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk, ietf-ids@umich.edu, bsi-ds@nexor.co.uk, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk

My View....

In flat address spaces, spaces where the interrelationship between the
objects is minimal or non-existent, then one does not need directory
structures which organize the space into relationships which Whois++ or
X.500 support.

In organizations the functionality X.500 and Whois++ afford is important.
Organizational objects are much more highly interrelated than the consumer
address space over areas such a security, authority, responsibility and
accountability.

No standard is best for all things....

Later...Rik

At 12:14 AM 7/5/96, Martin Hamilton wrote:
>Yep, truly great!
>
> "Whether you're looking for sales leads, full mailing lists, and
>  telemarketing information, or the clean-up of your database and
>  innovative data processing solutions, Database America is the
>  company to call. We've got detailed information on 11 million
>  businesses and 165 million consumers"
>
>But no email address search.  Shame!  Still, there's always
><URL:http://www.four11.com/> or <URL:http://www.whowhere.com/> for those.
>
>Now, about that in-lined advertisments extension to LDAP ... :-)

|         Rik Drummond - The Drummond Group         |
|   5008 Bentwood Ct., Ft. Worth, TX 76132 USA  |
|        Voice: 817 294 7339    Fax: 817 294 7950     |