re:directory services - X.500 future? - centroids - pilot proposal

pays@faugeres.inria.fr Sat, 17 September 1994 21:51 UTC

Date: 17 Sep 94 22:49:35+0200
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: pays@faugeres.inria.fr
To: pays@perignon.inria.fr, pww@bnr.ca
Subject: re:directory services - X.500 future? - centroids - pilot proposal
cc: gparsons@bnr.ca, ietf-asid@umich.edu, ietf-ids@umich.edu, jamesko@bnr.ca, jern@spaceaix.jhuapl.edu, macauley@bnr.ca, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, pays@faugeres.inria.fr, punters@nameflow.dante.net, solo@pamir.inria.fr, wps@surfnet.nl

A last message to all these listss:

  1. I sure am willing to go on with this debate I somehow initiated
	and specificaly answer Peter comments

  2. I don't think it is wise/acceptable to go on with that many lists
	we have to decide for one single list.
	The question: which one?
		osi-ds : is X500 centric and I dont want to limit the debate
			to something against or for X.500
		ids : ????
		wps :
			I don't want the debate limited to White Pages
			as probably the real killer application of DS
			will be the URN URL resolution

		ietf-asids@umich.edu : is my proposal

		 -> those not members of asids have to register soon if
			they want to go on following:contributing to the
			debate  (Tim is that OK?)

  3. I proposed to create a new list. But we have to distinguish clearly
	between a general debate about DS features:functionalities
	(the current debate, the one I propose to pursue within asids)
	and a list specific to centroids large piloting (the one I will create)

-- PAP

Tim, in case you object the use of asids, please suggest soon a better
list, i will wait for a while before sending comments to just one single list.
Could you please also remind eVERYONE THE REGISTRATION PROCEDURE  for
the ietf-asids list

;