RE: Fw: Last Call: Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled App lications to Proposed Standard

Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com> Thu, 08 January 1998 21:44 UTC

Delivery-Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 16:44:33 -0500
From: Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>
To: ietf-ids@umich.edu, iesg@ns.ietf.org, 'Al Grimstad' <alg@qsun.ho.att.com>
Subject: RE: Fw: Last Call: Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled App lications to Proposed Standard
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 13:44:17 -0800

A comment on the issue of "normative" is embedded below. Comments on other
issues to follow.

> ----------

Maybe I shoudn't have used "normative", since it drags in the ISO usage.

My objection was that it isn't clear, IF one wants to interoperate using
this spec, what one MUST do. (The spec as a whole can still be optional to
implement.) That's the sense in which I was using normative. In particular,
I don't think that things which one MUST do to interoperate belong in a
section labelled "Implementation Issues". I'm open to the argument that I
misread that section, and that what it says isn't really required for
interoperation, but it sure seemed that way to me.

In other words, I think it is highly desirable that the spec use the
language in RFC 2119 to indicate precisely the requirements for
interoperability. (RFC 2119 is where the meanings of MUST, SHOULD, etc. that
have traditionally been used in Internet RFCs are now inscribed for shared
use.)

Paul