RE: immutable, permanent DNs @ Stanford

Peter Jurg <Peter.Jurg@SURFnet.nl> Tue, 13 January 1998 10:17 UTC

Delivery-Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 05:17:45 -0500
From: Peter Jurg <Peter.Jurg@SURFnet.nl>
To: "Jeff.Hodges" <Jeff.Hodges@Stanford.EDU>
Cc: ietf-ids <ietf-ids@umich.edu>, iesg <iesg@ns.ietf.org>
Subject: RE: immutable, permanent DNs @ Stanford
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:18:54 +0100

Jeff,

I followed your instructions below, but they don't work for me. If you use
ldap.surfnet.nl with searchbase o=SURFnet,c=nl however, finding people
within SURFnet is not a problem. Looking in the logs of my test ldap server
I can see that the Microsoft client default searches for values of cn if you
type a value in the Name box. I don't think the type of DN's you use matter
much, but apparently you need the cn attribute type to be present in
entries.

Peter

Services
>   and Add. This will put you in a Wizard.
>
> Then use the wizard to configure the directory service in question. For
our
> test RegID directory, do this..
>
>   Internet directory (LDAP) server: director.stanford.edu
>     <next>
>   Do you want to check addresses using this directory service: Yes (dunno
if
> 								    "yes" is
> 								    essential)
>     <next>
>   Internet directory service name: Stanford's RegID test directory
>     <next/finish>
>
> Then, in the Internet Properties dialog you've been returned to, the
> directory
> you just entered should be selected. Choose the "Properties" button, and
in
> the properties dialog, bug the "Advanced" tab, and enter
"dc=stanford,dc=edu"
> in the "Search Base" text field. Then "Ok".
>
> Then play around with the "Set Order" function to get things to your
taste,
> then close the Internet Accounts dialog.
>
> Then to actually use this to search the directory(s) you've set up
> for Express
> 98, choose the "Address Book" button off the toolbar, then choose "Find"
in
> the Address Book toolbar, and use the resulting "Find People" dialog
> to search
> the directory(s) you've previously configured.
>
> It appears from my nominal goofing 'round with it that the filter
> construct MS
> is using expects the first part of name or email attr values, not some
middle
> portion. So try putting in "test" into either Name or E-mail and see what
> happens.
>
> In IExplorer, one gets to the Address Book dialog, and thus the Find
People