RE: Last Call: Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled Applic ations to Proposed Standard

Alexis Bor <alexis.bor@DirectoryWorks.com> Tue, 30 December 1997 02:11 UTC

Delivery-Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 21:11:54 -0500
From: Alexis Bor <alexis.bor@DirectoryWorks.com>
To: Chris Weider <cweider@microsoft.com>, "'ietf-ids@umich.edu'" <ietf-ids@umich.edu>, iesg@ns.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Last Call: Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled Applic ations to Proposed Standard
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 18:11:35 -0800

On the RDN requirement:

It seems that there is a significant gap in understanding what is really
going on out there.  I have been working with many large accounts that
have strong requirements to store all employees in the directory.  This
is not a one to one correlation to who has an email address.  For
example, one of my customers has 160,000 email users and 400,000
employees.  Most companies that do manufacturing do not have email
addresses for the assembly line workers, or at least no where near to
100 %.  At the same time, they are looking at issuing certificates for
everyone and perhaps using them in the badging/smartcard applications.

In fact, what I am finding is that a driving force at larger companies
is to have the DN be very stable for people, surviving organization
changes, personal name changes, geographic changes and any other change.
In addition, they want to truly simplify the tree process by putting all
of their entries into one branch of the directory tree, or at least only
have a few branches that separate employees, contractors and trading
partners.  The vision is to issue an employee a distinguished name at
hire time (perhaps the badging people or HR issue it and create the
initial directory entry) and then have that DN stay with the employee
forever.  This really helps people developing applications that want to
store a DN identifying someone and always be able to get back to the
data in the future.  Think of what this means to security
certificates...changing DNs makes much more work for certificates.

Clearly, I would like to separate the two discussions as well.  I like
the concept of the DC plan, but really have trouble with the RDN ideas.

-- Alexis

Alexis Bor
Directory Works, Inc.
16312 194th Avenue NE