Re: [ieee-ietf-coord] Aid with draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 09 July 2020 08:30 UTC

From: "Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Qin Wu'" <bill.wu@huawei.com>, "'Glenn Parsons'" <glenn.parsons@ericsson.com>, <ieee-ietf-coord@ietf.org>
Cc: <draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 04:30:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [ieee-ietf-coord] Aid with draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14

Glen:

I¡¯m sorry you feel disappointed in the coordination between IETF and IEEE.

Please note that this work predates your work with the Yang modules (first
WG draft is April, 2015), and should have been mentioned in these
discussions since that time.  This WG draft is not a recent event.  Where
and how the coordination teams missed this draft is something you can
discuss with IETF leadership.   From my viewpoint, my understanding is that
the IETF-IEEE interactions were to be placed through this IETF-IEEE
committee for liaison.   Members of the IESG were to pass information
regarding our drafts to this committee.

Since I was asked to double check this coordination, I went directly to the
email list (per Alvaro Retana).  In my work as a WG chair, I have repeatedly
tried to get the IETF side of this IETF-IEEE committee to validate our work,
and to coordinate with IEEE 802.1.

If you are going to review this document at your IEEE meeting,  please be
aware it is a logical topology that creates a virtual model of layer 2
networks for network management purposes.  This virtual model attaches to a
virtual layer 3 model.   As Qin mentioned, I recommend you RFC 8345 and send
me questions if the difference between the physical construct (IEEE) and
this virtual topology (IETF NM) is unclear.   As Qin states, this is not an
overlap with IEEE models but an virtual topology built on top of an existing
IETF NM model.  We have used IEEE Yang models and definitions where ever
possible as IEEE models came into being (2015-2018) in the L2 model.

Prior to sending this query, I found and downloaded the files you mentioned.
(I¡¯m an IEEE member and a past participant in IEEE 802.1) .

On my question 1:   I am asking for clarity on Table 48-7, page 29-30 in
802.1Q-2018.

The Bridge structure has ¡°name¡± (r-w), ¡°address¡± (r-w), type (r-w),
ports (12.4) and uptime (12.4).   This structure is required for bridges.

In deployed switches, there is a sys-mac-address with the ability to have a
VLAN-ID attached.   How does IEEE 802.1 view this difference?   As far as
the Yang module (dated 2018), is this functional a vendor augmentation to
the base model?

Do you wish to provide input on my questions 2 and 3?

Thank you, Susan Hares