[Ieprep] on the ieprep charter

"Robert G. Cole" <robert.cole@jhuapl.edu> Wed, 12 July 2006 12:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:56:27 -0400
From: "Robert G. Cole" <robert.cole@jhuapl.edu>
To: ieprep@ietf.org
Subject: [Ieprep] on the ieprep charter

Kimberly,

I am not sure of the lastest revision to the charter, so will make a few
general comments on various versions and discussions.  I am also curious
of the target date for completing the charter revision.

+ I agree with expanding the scope of the WG away from solely an
emergency Telecomm focus to a more general emergency communications
focus.  I do not think a totally military focus is correct however; this
is only one of several sectors the IETF needs to address.  There is
significant overlap in the needs for emergency services within
Enterprise, Public and Military networks, that to focus on a single
sector would represent a disservice to all of these communities.

+ I agree with the suggestion to expand beyond requirements and
informational to standard track RFCs, if necessary.  There are clearly
gaps in the current set of standards within the scope of emergency services.

That being said, I have a few specific comments:

+ I would shy away from the term 'Telecommunications' and use
'Communications' when refering to working group scope.  Using it as an
example is fine.

+ I generally prefer to use the term 'Precedence' in place of
'Prioritization' when refering to general capabilities and requirements.
  Prioritization implies (to some) a (queuing)mechanism, which may not
be required in many instances.

+ A 'Feb 07 draft on mechanisms' is suggested.  Is this to focus on
transport service mechanisms and/or application level mechanisms?

+ Perhaps the WG should consider drafting an I-D on Application
Considerations when accessing emergency transport services.  I know
there has been some discussion of Email/SMTP in this group.  Should the
charter make discussion of application considerations in scope?  I think
yes. I think such a document would point out some interesting
interactions required between the network and the applications, e.g.,
access control, multiplexing, etc.

Thanks,
Bob