RE: [Ieprep] Diffserv Code Point for Emergency calls

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Sun, 23 October 2005 19:50 UTC

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:50:27 -0500
To: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Diffserv Code Point for Emergency calls
Cc: ieprep@ietf.org, ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
Sender: ieprep-bounces@ietf.org

Reinaldo

Comments in-line

At 02:29 AM 10/23/2005 -0400, Reinaldo Penno wrote:
>That is also possible and it might happen all the time.
>
>I think the threats you mention are quite valid but they will be no
>different if we have an emergency DSCP. The whole problem around
>contention of resources will continue to happen.
>
>My point is the same as before. How this hypothetical scenario is any
>different from what could happen today?

Because, as I see it - and please correct me if I am seeing this
incorrectly - that doctor's call in the enterprise will not be starved off
by any other call.

Yet, the way I have understood most, and I think the scenario you have
brought up, the emergency calls will starve off, or at least adversely
affect existing calls that can be the equivalent of EF marked in treatment.

Plus there is the issue that most employees operate under a subtly
different set of laws and rules than the general public, usually starting
with when an employee candidate signs a contract of employment reducing
that person's rights in some ways.

>For example, today if something happens in an enterprise, will the
>emergency calls to 911 have better treatment than the doctor's call? You
>can also imagine a reversed scenario where I could argue that if the
>call made by the person in the next cubicle to his doctor blocks my call
>to 911 I will sue the company/telco.
>
>Any hospital in the US has the following recording "if this is an
>emergency, hang up and dial 911". If you really have an emergency, you
>should be calling 911, and not your doctor.

While in general, I would agree with you, there are some cases in which a
doctor is who is to be called when you have an issue with something under
their care.  I have experienced this first hand to know it is true in the US.

>If you call your doctor, you
>are implicitly telling the "system" that this is not an emergency.

That's the legacy system you are telling.  Whereas, with IP, we have many
more capabilities (or should) to be able to differentiate one call from
another. I believe that should one of the IETF's (and other SDO's) goals
for emergency calling.

Please review ECRIT WG discussions as there are many references to this
capability being on the to-do list of many areas dealing with this scenario.

>Somebody in a Telco told me that 911 calls are signaled different (which
>imply a priority over normal calls). Do you know if this a fact?

Yes, there are special facilities that 911 calls traverse, after the
initial Class 5 switch towards the Selective Router, and on to the PSAP.