Re: RESEND RE: [Ieprep] Another version of a potential IEPREP charter (UNCLASSIFIED)

Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com> Fri, 07 July 2006 21:58 UTC

Subject: Re: RESEND RE: [Ieprep] Another version of a potential IEPREP charter (UNCLASSIFIED)
To: "Perschau, Stephen CIV NCS NC2" <stephen.perschau@dhs.gov>
From: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:58:17 -0400
Cc: ieprep@ietf.org, ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>

My comments on the first part.

* on the lines I changed

Thanks,

Janet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Perschau, Stephen CIV NCS NC2" <stephen.perschau@dhs.gov> wrote on
07/07/2006 01:29:37 PM:

> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Sorry for having to resend this but the text deletions/modifications in
> Ken's proposed text did not go through as highlighted.  Ignore the
> previous email.
>
> Stephen Perschau

*> Prioritization involves identifying communications that have authorized
access to preferential treatment.

> Communities of interest have viewed prioritization as one step in
> facilitating response and recovery operations during emergencies/
*> disasters, or in other occasions where ordinary communications are
likely to fail
*>  and a particular sets of authorized users (e.g., first responders,
chain of command
*>  have a need to obtain  a service that might not otherwise be available.
*> These circumstance may involve communications over the Internet or
private IP
> networks/intranets.

*Delete> Natural disasters (e.g., hurricanes, floods, earthquakes) and
those
*Delete> created by man (e.g., terrorist attacks, wartime events) may occur
at
*Delete> any time.
*> These users require
> immediate access to available telecommunications resources. These
> resource include not only: conventional telephone, cellular phones, and
> Internet access via online terminals, IP telephones, and wireless PDAs
> but also access to available network resources (e.g., bandwidth).
*> Both the commercial telecommunications infrastructure and
private/enterprise/military
*> telecommunications infrastructures are  rapidly evolving to
*> Internet-based technology. The Internet community needs to consider how
> its protocols can support prioritized communications in these contexts.

*> There are different ways to provide prioritization: (1) in some contexts
traffic
> engineering or schemas that improve the probability of
*> establishing/maintaining communications during times of stress are
appropriate,  (2) in other contexts a
> more binary approach of displacing or preempting lower priority
*> communications is appropriate.