RE: [Ieprep] Diffserv Code Point for Emergency calls

"Steve Silverman" <steves@shentel.net> Mon, 24 October 2005 13:03 UTC

From: Steve Silverman <steves@shentel.net>
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Diffserv Code Point for Emergency calls
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:03:27 -0400
Cc: ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>, ieprep@ietf.org
Sender: ieprep-bounces@ietf.org

James,

We can only base our actions on what is detectible.  We can prioritize
calls to 911 (or equivalent).  I don't know
how to detect emergency calls to a doctor's office.  Or at least how
to distinguish emergencies from routine traffic.
In the absence of both user authentication and mind reading
technology, I don't think we can give special treatment to your
doctor's call example. This is another reason to call 911 for
emergencies rather than a doctor's office. I know my wife tells her
patients to call 911 if there is a true emergency.

Steve

Yes it will if there are too many emergency calls.