RE: [Ieprep] Diffserv Code Point for Emergency calls

"Reinaldo Penno" <rpenno@juniper.net> Fri, 28 October 2005 03:30 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Diffserv Code Point for Emergency calls
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:29:55 -0400
From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>, ieprep@ietf.org
Sender: ieprep-bounces@ietf.org

Hello,

I read draft draft-ietf-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-02, which I assume it is
your proposal.

Some questions:

1. The example is the end if quite complex. I would like to start with a
bare bores one. Which priority you suggest for everyday 911 calls as
opposed to normal telephone calls? I believe the priorities are below

  The DSN has 5 precedence levels of IEPS in descending order:

        dsn.flash-override

        dsn.flash

        dsn.immediate

        dsn.priority

        dsn.routine

2. It seems to me your proposal and an emergency DSCP are complementary
and not mutually exclusive. If signal with RSVP and if you get
bandwidth, you mark packets with the emergency DSCP.

3. Not trying to simplify things but premise of this proposal is that
all IP phones will support RSVP, right?

4. Should the phones use RSVP just for emergency calls or for all calls
in general? I guess they should otherwise the other devices would loose
track of how much bandwidth has been consumed?

Thanks,

Reinaldo

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-