RE: [Ieprep] Preferential Services

"Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb@layer3arts.com> Mon, 31 July 2006 19:34 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:33:59 -0500
From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb@layer3arts.com>
To: ieprep@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] Preferential Services

Quoting Janet Gunn <jgunn@ix.netcom.com>:

> I have a similar reaction to Stu's.
>
> "Preferential Services" somehow loses the "it is for your own good", or "for
> the greater good" connotation that goes with "Emergency Preparedness".

Having spent time on the medical and other delivery sides of emergency services,
the telco phrases "special service protection" or "special safeguarding
measures" might be a start. Yes, I know the latter has other implications. For
those of us with access to emergency responders, it may be well to ask them if
any term comes to mind. I will ask my housemate, an emergency physician with
extensive field radio communications experience.

Most hospitals, for example, deliberately have at least one POTS line in each
critical area that has a mechanical relay that flips it to a direct FXS if the
PBX goes down.  Unfortunately, I can't think of any general term used for this
other than "the backup phone line when the PBX breaks".

While the overall system is far too complex, I wonder if there might be useful
language in the [US] National Communications Systems' Restoration Priority System?