[Ieprep] (Forwarded) alternate version of revised IEPREP charter

Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com> Tue, 13 June 2006 17:51 UTC

To: ieprep@ietf.org
From: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:37:28 -0400
Cc: "Taylor, Carollyn D CIV NCS NC2" <carol-lyn.taylor@dhs.gov>, stephen.perschau@dhs.gov
Subject: [Ieprep] (Forwarded) alternate version of revised IEPREP charter

I have been asked to send this to the IEPREP list on behalf of Carol-Lyn
Taylor and Stephen Perschau (both of NCS).

Janet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Forwarded by Janet P Gunn/FED/CSC on 06/13/2006 01:30 PM -----

> [...]
>
> 2.  Some countries have additional considerations that define the
> context in which they implement session precedence and preemption.
> For example, network ownership constraints (which may differ from
> commercial deployments), communities of interest including dial-plan
> considerations, encryption assumptions and limitations arising from
> differing security levels, etc. that should be described before
> mechanisms are proposed. The WG will document the context for
> implementing solutions.  In addition, solutions must be developed
> when appropriate.
>
> 3. While voice was the driving application in the past, preferential
> treatment will need to be applied to all applications used in
> response and recovery operations. Preferential treatment must be
> applied to real-time (e.g., voice) and non-real-time applications
> (e.g., Text messaging, SMS) that share the same network. The WG will
> document the preferential treatment mechanisms that are appropriate
> for any essential communications.
>
> In the IETF, considerations for treatment and security of
> communications for response and recovery operations stretch across a
> number of working groups, mostly in the RAI Area, notably including
> the various voice/video signaling working groups, instant messaging,
> and QoS signaling. The WG will cooperate closely with these groups
> and with those outside of the IETF such as ITU-T study groups.  In
> addition, the WG will pursue subject matter experts (e.g., security)
> for specification review if such expertise does not exist within the
> working group in order to ensure continued high quality specifications.
>
> If there is an existing group that can extend a protocol or
> mechanism, the WG will generate only a requirements document for
> those groups to evaluate. If there is not an existing group that can
> extend a protocol or mechanism, the WG will prepare requirements and
> discuss the extension of that protocol/mechanism or
> protocols/mechanisms within the WG.
>
> Goals and Milestones:
>
> Aug 06 Submit an initial I-D of Requirements of Government/Military
> Networks for Precedence and Preemption
>
> Sept 06 Submit an initial I-D of Deployment Considerations of
> Precedence and Preemption on Government/Military Networks.  This
> document should clarify the context that Government/Military
> requirements must operate.
>
> Nov 06 Submit final I-D of Requirements of Government/Military
> Networks for Precedence and Preemption to IESG for publication as an
> Informational RFC.
> Jan 07 Submit final I-D of Deployment Considerations of Precedence
> and Preemption on Government/Military Networks to IESG for
> publication as an Informational RFC.
>
> Feb 07 Submit an initial I-D of Mechanisms for Precedence and
> Preemption to be used by Government/Military Networks
>
> Apr 07 Submit final I-D of Mechanisms for Precedence and Preemption
> to be used by Government/Military Networks to IESG for publication as a
BCP