[Ietf-62] Re: IETF62 Wireless Network Update

Emmanuel.Desmet@alcatel.com Tue, 08 March 2005 13:07 UTC

From: Emmanuel.Desmet@alcatel.com
To: Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:47:46 +0100
Cc: ietf-62@ietf.org
Subject: [Ietf-62] Re: IETF62 Wireless Network Update
Sender: ietf-62-bounces@ietf.org

Note that I'm not at all an expert in these matters (far from it actually)
but looks to me that there are apparently also dns problems on floor 3 that
are not occuring at all on e.g. the ground floor.

At least that's my personal non-expert diagnosis as opposed to the DHCP
ones mentioned below.

Gentle as always,

@+ manu

                      Jim Martin
                      <jim@daedelus.co         To:      ietf@ietf.org
                      m>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: IETF62 Wireless Network Update
                      ietf-bounces@iet
                      f.org

                      08/03/2005 01:33

Gentlepeople,
             We just wanted to give everyone an update on the state of the
wireless
network here at the Hilton. As most people noticed, we had severe
problems involving APs going away starting right around 9am when the
first meetings began. We identified and worked around the problem and
the APs have been up and reasonably solid since mid-morning.

             However, despite the APs staying up, we continued to see
problems,
particularly on the 3rd floor.  Common symptoms were:
             - Long delays before receiving DHCP responses
             - Long first hop round trip times
             - Loss on the first hop (in the wireless domain)
             - Receiving a DHCP address, but still not having the ability
contact the default router

             Moving forward, we've made several configuration changes which
should
help matters, and we believe that most of the problems have been
resolved. Please (gently) let us know if you're still seeing major
problems. The 2.4G band (802.11b/g) is still pretty congested and has
some inherent issues in a situation like IETF meetings, so if you have
the option to use 802.11a, we'd suggest you do so.

             As always, any trouble reports or questions can be directed at

ietf-62@ietf.org.

             Again, our apologies for the frustration and annoyance this is

causing. Believe us, we want to get this to work just as much, if not
more, than you all do!

             - Jim