Mime = Spam?

Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> Sun, 18 August 2002 17:47 UTC

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:46:26 +0200
To: ietf-822@imc.org
From: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
Subject: Mime = Spam?
Sender: owner-ietf-822@mail.imc.org

The antispam service I am using are giving the following
properties of a message spam points:

No. of
spam
points   Property of message
--------+----------------------------------
40       Subject contains =?iso-
40       Any header contains charset=ISO-8859-1
10       Any header contains Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
15       Any header contains =?
40       Any header contains Content-Type: text/html; charset="ks_c_5601-1987"

A message with a total spam points larger than a
user-chosen limit, somewhere around 80, is regarded as spam.

In addition to the above points, the service also, of
course, give spam points for certain words like "mortgage"
or "teen".

In order to get the service working for me, I have
eliminated the first two items listed above for messages in
the Swedish language. I detect the Swedish language by the
occurence of two common Swedish words, the Swedish words
for "I" and "and" in the body of a message.

I have also had to change the service for some words which
are spam-indicators in English but not in Swedish, such as
"slut" which in Swedish means "end".

It is interesting to note that many of the advanced
features of MIME give spam points.

I read somewhere that it is the game and porn producers
who are pushing technology forwards nowadays, rather
than more serious usage of technology.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/