Re: IESG Liaisons

Steve Coya <scoya@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> Tue, 26 March 1996 22:50 UTC

To: Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcoms.cern.ch>
cc: iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: IESG Liaisons
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 17:49:55 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steve Coya <scoya@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>

>> Slight disconnect alert here... it says somewhere that the IAB
>> organises liaisons.

Uh... Well, Brian, ya see, I have this old message here....

Date:    Mon, 04 Sep 95 15:53:26 +0200
To:      iesg <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, iab <iab@isi.edu>

From:    Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcoms.cern.ch>
Subject: liaisons, further update

IAB, IESG,

This is as far as I can get in summarising existing liaisons.
Who was it suggested POSIX?

Purpose and summary of IETF liaisons
====================================

The IETF arranges liaisons with other international standards bodies for
various practical reasons, including-

 - minimisation of duplication of effort and overlapping standards
 - minimisation of accidental incompatibilities between standards
 - minimisation of gaps in standardisation

The principal methods of liaison are the arrangement of mutual,
free electronic access to drafts and standards documents,
and mutual access to mailing lists and meetings.

The decision to establish a liaison is taken by the IAB and IESG
in consultation with the ISOC VP for standards.

A contact person will be named by the IESG for each liaison, typically
but not necessarily the Area Director concerned. When a signed agreement
is necessary, this will be executed by the ISOC.

A summary of currently known liaisons follows.

With what  Our contact   Their contact  Date    Comment
JTC1/SC6   Sue  Thomson  ??             ?/94    Lower layers of OSI
JTC1/SC18  John Klensin  ??             8/95    formal text pending
JTC1/SC21  H.Alverstrand ??             ??
JTC1/SC29  ??            ??             ??      status unknown
ATM Forum  Joel Halpern  Drew Perkins   ?/94    partial document access
ITU-T      Scott Bradner ??             ?/95
POSIX                                           desirable

    Brian