Re: [Glenn Randers-Pehrson ARL-WTD: deflate, zlib, gzip drafts]

Glenn Randers-Pehrson ARL-WTD-TED-TIB <glennrp@arl.mil> Wed, 27 March 1996 14:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 09:53:00 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Glenn Randers-Pehrson ARL-WTD-TED-TIB <glennrp@arl.mil>
To: iesg@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
cc: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no, Klensin@mci.net, rfc-editor@isi.edu
Subject: Re: [Glenn Randers-Pehrson ARL-WTD: deflate, zlib, gzip drafts]

I wrote:

 > I have just sent to the Internet-Draft editor
 >
 > draft-deutsch-deflate-spec-03.txt, ps
 > draft-deutsch-gzip-spec-03.txt, ps
 > draft-deutsch-zlib-spec-03.txt, ps
 >
 > They contain a revised copyright notice that
 > allows changes and deletions.  I hope this will be satisfactory.
 >
 >         Copyright (c) 1996 L. Peter Deutsch
 >
 > 	Permission is granted to copy and distribute this document for
 > 	any purpose and without charge, including translations into
 > 	other languages and incorporation into compilations, provided
 > 	that the copyright notice and this notice are preserved, and that
 > 	any substantive changes or deletions from the original are clearly
 > 	marked.
 >
 > ../glennrp

Also, while you are considering this copyright notice, would you also
have a look at draft-boutell-spec-png-01.txt?  It contains the following
notice:

   COPYRIGHT NOTICE

      Copyright (c) 1996 by: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

      This W3C specification is being provided by the copyright holders
      under the following license. By obtaining, using and/or copying
      this specification, you agree that you have read, understood, and
      will comply with the following terms and conditions:

      Permission to use, copy, and distribute this specification and its
      documentation for any purpose and without fee or royalty is hereby
      granted, provided that the full text of this NOTICE appears on ALL
      copies of the specification and documentation or portions thereof,
      including modifications, that you make.

      THIS SPECIFICATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS," AND COPYRIGHT HOLDERS MAKE
      NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.  BY WAY OF
      EXAMPLE, BUT NOT LIMITATION, COPYRIGHT HOLDERS MAKE NO
      REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR
      ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT THE USE OF THE SPECIFICATION OR
      DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY THIRD PARTY PATENTS,
      COPYRIGHTS, TRADEMARKS OR OTHER RIGHTS.  COPYRIGHT HOLDERS WILL
      BEAR NO LIABILITY FOR ANY USE OF THIS SPECIFICATION OR
      DOCUMENTATION.

      The name and trademarks of copyright holders may NOT be used in
      advertising or publicity pertaining to the specification without
      specific, written prior permission.  Title to copyright in this
      specification and any associated documentation will at all times
      remain with copyright holders.

Please let me know if this must be changed before the PNG spec can become
an Info RFC.

../glennrp  <glennrp@arl.mil> or <randeg@alumni.rpi.edu>