Re: a letter

Steve Coya <scoya@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> Fri, 22 March 1996 22:55 UTC

To: Joel Halpern <jhalpern@us.newbridge.com>
cc: iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: a letter
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 17:55:18 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Steve Coya <scoya@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>

Joel >> Clearly, the spirit of 1602 applies,
Fred >> my take for the moment is to operate on the "bis" rules.

According to 1602bis...

	... the
      IESG shall not advance the specification without including in the
      document a note indicating the existence of such rights, or
      claimed rights.

So a note needs to be added to the I-Ds (once we know which ones are
effected by this. The absense of any notification should probably
result in the "note" being added to ALL the documents.

I presume that we can include this text is a separate section of the
Protocol Action that is sent to the IETF and RFC Editor (as opposed to
requiring a new version of the I-D to be issued and announced) - and
some of you were worried about my CCP comment :-)

1602bis>>    (C)  Where the IESG knows of rights, or claimed rights
      under (A), the
      IESG Secretariat shall attempt to obtain from the claimant of such
      rights, a written assurance that upon approval by the IESG of the
      relevant Internet standards track specification(s), any party will
      be able to obtain the right to implement, use and distribute the
      technology or works when implementing, using or distributing
      technology based upon the specific specification(s) under openly
      specified, reasonable, non-discriminatory terms.

I believe my message covers this step. I guess "written assurance"
means I should ask for a letter, presumably on the organization's
letterhead (to make sure we're not negotiating with the pizza delivery
guy who happens to be there at the time).

1602bis>>       The Working
      Group proposing the use of the technology with respect to which
      the proprietary rights are claimed may assist the IESG Secretariat
      in this effort. The results of this procedure shall not affect
      advancement of a specification along the standards track, except
      that the IESG may defer approval where a delay may facilitate the
      obtaining of such assurances.

Joel, do you know if any of the mobileip folks are with Panosonic?

1602bis >> The results will, however, be
      recorded by the IESG Secretariat , and made available online.  The
      IESG may also direct that a summary of the results be included in
      any RFC published containing the specification.

This was/is to be changed to read that I will make these results (what
a term for a letter) available, but not requiring that it be be
on-line.

Steve