Creation of an I-D-Announce Mailing List

The IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org> Thu, 25 March 2004 16:10 UTC

From: The IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org>
To: IETF-Announce:;
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:03:37 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-announce@ietf.org

Dear IETF-Announce Subscribers:

As you are aware, the preponderance of messages sent to the IETF-Announce
mailing list are I-D Action announcements, the messages that inform the
community that a new Internet-Draft has been posted to the IETF Web
site.  To better serve you, the IETF Secretariat is creating a separate
mailing list, I-D-Announce, expressly for this purpose.  Postings to the
I-D-Announce mailing list will be limited to I-D Action
announcements.  All other announcements will continue to be sent to the
IETF-Announce list.

I-D-Announce will be created as a Mailman list.  At the same time, the
existing IETF-Announce list will be migrated from Majordomo to Mailman.

The transition from the current IETF-Announce list to the I-D-Announce and
new IETF-Announce lists will be implemented in four steps:

- Step 1: Create I-D-Announce and IETF-Announce Mailman lists with the
same subscribers as the existing IETF-Announce mailing list.  Step 1 has
been completed.

- Step 2: Provide instructions to current IETF-Announce subscribers
regarding how to *unsubscribe* to each of these lists should they wish to
do so prior to the split.  Step 2 is now in progress.

Instructions for unsubscribing to the I-D-Announce and new IETF-Announce
lists are available at http://www.ietf.org/new-announce-list.html.
If you wish to continue to receive
all types of announcements, then you need do nothing (since you are
currently subscribed to both lists).  If you wish to receive all
announcements except for I-D Action announcements, then you must
unsubscribe to the I-D-Announce list.  Finally, if you wish to receive
only I-D Action announcements, then you must unsubscribe to the
IETF-Announce list.

- Step 3: Activate the I-D-Announce and new IETF-Announce lists, and
modify internal procedures so that all I-D Action announcements go to the
I-D Announce list.

- Step 4: Update the pages on the IETF Web site that refer to
IETF-Announce to reflect the existence of I-D-Announce as well.

All messages will continue to be sent to the existing IETF-Announce list
until 9:00 am ET on March 30, 2004, which is one week from
today.  Steps 3 and 4 will be implemented at that time.

If you wish to comment on this change in procedures, then please send a
message to ietf@ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat.