Non-technical changes affecting the IETF

IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org> Tue, 01 March 2016 15:36 UTC

From: IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org>
Subject: Non-technical changes affecting the IETF
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 17:33:42 +0200
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>

All,

A while ago I asked for volunteers to help us understand some of the non-technical changes around the IETF. Some of these changes may affect how we should run our operations: changing participation, changing forms of co-operation, changing landscapes in the area of standards organisations, open source, and so on.

My goal was to set up a design team. This effort was inspired by involvement in various decisions that the IETF leadership has to take part in. I find myself often wishing to be able to draw more on the understanding trends and their impact on the IETF.

Alia Atlas, Avri Doria, Tobias Gondrom, Olaf Kolkman, Steve Olshansky, Benson Schliesser, Robert Sparks, Russ White joined the team (thank you!) and the first result from the team is now available as an Internet Draft.

My thoughts on this are in a blog entry here: https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/03/non-technical-trends-affecting-the-ietf/

And the draft is here: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-ietf-trends-and-observations