Subject: WG Review: AI Preferences (aipref)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2024 09:50:29 -0800
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Web and Internet Transport. The IESG
has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2024-12-15.

AI Preferences (aipref)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  TBD

Assigned Area Director:
  Zaheduzzaman Sarker <[email-masked]>

Web and Internet Transport Directors:
  Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>
  Zaheduzzaman Sarker <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://mailman3.ietf.org/mailman3/lists/ai-control.ietf.org/
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ai-control/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/aipref/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-aipref/

The AI Preferences Working Group will standardize building blocks that allow
for the expression of preferences about how content is collected and
processed for Artificial Intelligence (AI) model development, deployment, and
use.

There are many ways that preferences regarding content might be expressed.
The Working Group will focus on attaching preferences to content either by
including preferences in content metadata or by signaling preferences using
the protocol that delivers content.

The Working Group will deliver:

 - A vocabulary for expressing AI-related preferences, independent of how
 those preferences are associated with content. - A means of attaching or
 associating those preferences with content in IETF-defined protocols and
 formats, including but not limited to using Well-Known URIs (RFC 8615) such
 as the Robots Exclusion Protocol (RFC 9309), and HTTP response header
 fields. - A method for reconciling multiple expressions of preferences.

The working group is expected to liaise as appropriate with:

 - International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) and the PLUS
 Coalition, regarding attachment in formats controlled by these bodies -
 WHATWG and/or W3C, regarding attachment in HTML and other formats controlled
 by these bodies - Other bodies responsible for content formats, as
 appropriate

Liaisons are intended to aid the incorporation into protocols, mechanisms,
frameworks and content formats developed and controlled by external bodies.

The following topics are out of scope for this charter:

 - Technical enforcement of preferences
 - Authenticating or authorising clients and/or crawlers
 - Establishment of registries of preferences relating to content
 - Auditing and other transparency measures for AI training

Milestones:

  Aug 2025 - A standard track specification describing vocabulary for
  expressing AI-related preferences to the IESG for publication

  Aug 2025 - Standard track protocol specification(s) to associate the
  AI-related preferences to the IESG for publication