Subject: Call for nominations: IESG appointment to the IETF Trust

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 14:45:07 +0300

The purpose of the IETF Trust is to acquire, hold, maintain, and
license certain existing and future intellectual property and other
property used in connection with the administration of the IETF. More
information about the IETF Trust can be found at
https://trustee.ietf.org/. According to RFC8714, the IESG is required
to appoint one person to the IETF Trust, for a term of two-years.

A previous IESG had reappointed Stephan Wenger in March 2020.
Consequently, the current IESG should have started the appointment
process for the 2022-24 term earlier this year. Unfortunately, this
appointment deadline was not added to the IESG calendar, and it hence
got forgotten. The IESG apologizes for this error, and wishes to
thank Stephan for silently continuing to serve.

The IESG is hence asking for volunteers to serve as the IESG appointee
to the IETF Trust for the remainder of the 2022-24 term.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SELECTION CRITERIA

The Trust is mostly a quiet organization, and being a trustee
generally involves little work beyond quarterly online meetings.
Trustees ideally should be:

* Familiar with copyright and trademark law. 

* Familiar with the RFC publication process as described in RFC 6635
  and related documents. 

* Familiar with the Trust's copyright licenses and with RFCs 5377 and
  5378. 

* Willing to serve multiple terms as a trustee to provide continuity
  of oversight.

NOMINATIONS AND ELIGIBILITY

The IESG is making a public call for nominations. Self-nominations are
permitted. All IETF participants, including working group chairs,
IETF NomCom members, IAB members, IESG members, and candidates for
the IETF LLC Board are eligible for nomination. Of course, IESG
members who accept nomination will recuse themselves from selection
discussions. Persons who are under consideration by the NomCom in the
2022-23 cycle for the open IETF Trust position are also welcome to
apply. Please send nominations to [email-masked]. Please include the
following with each nomination:

* Name

* Contact information

* Candidate background and qualifications

SELECTION

The IESG will publish the list of nominated persons prior to making a
decision, allowing time for the community to provide any relevant
comments to the IESG.

The IESG will review the nomination material, any comments provided by
the community, and may decide to interview the candidates before
making a selection.

CARE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION

The following procedures will be used in managing candidates' personal
information:

* The list of candidate names will be published at the close of the
  nominations period. A candidate that refuses the nomination will
  not be included on the list.

* Except as noted above, all information provided to the IESG during
  this process will be kept as confidential to the IESG.

TIMEFRAME

The nominations period will opens today, September 9, 2022 and closes
on October 7, 2022.

The list of candidates will be posted shortly after the close of
nominations, and the community will then have two weeks to provide
comments on the candidates to the IESG.

The IESG will consider the community feedback and make its decision.
If the candidate pool overlaps with the NomCom's IETF Trust candidate
pool, the IESG will wait to announce a selection until the NomCom
announces its selections for the IETF Trust, to avoid a race
condition.

Lars Eggert
IETF Chair, for the IESG