Updated potential meeting location list

IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org> Tue, 14 July 2020 03:24 UTC

From: IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org>
To: "IETF Announcement List" <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Updated potential meeting location list
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 20:24:34 -0700

The IETF Administration LLC has updated the list of locations (cities) that have been assessed for their suitability to hold an IETF meeting [1]. This follows extensive assessment of each city including the solicitation and analysis of community feedback. This update adds 1 city to the list of those assessed as suitable while 8 are still being assessed.

The cities that have been added to those assessed as suitable are:

	Hiroshima

The cities that are still being assessed are:

	Busan
	Helsinki
	Hyderabad
	Kolkata
	Marrakesh
	New Delhi
	Panama City
	Tel Aviv

Please note the following important information on the meeting location selection process:

* The meeting policy [2] is for an annual rotation between Asia, Europe and North America (the "1-1-1-*" policy).

* The final selection of meeting location is based on a complex set of criteria and so multiple cities are assessed and multiple cities and venues visited in each region before a selection is made.  This process generally takes some years to complete and has been delayed by the impact of COVID-19 on international travel.

* Inclusion on the list as a suitable city does not mean that an IETF meeting will be held there, only that it is now a city that we can explore further.

* We are working on a process for the community to recommend specific cities, which will involve much more than just nominating a city.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have questions or comments.

[1] https://ietf.org/how/meetings/planning/meeting-location-input/
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8719

--
Jay Daley