Final assessment framework for decision on in-person/online IETF 108

IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org> Tue, 18 August 2020 00:45 UTC

From: IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Final assessment framework for decision on in-person/online IETF 108
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:45:15 -0700

We recently asked for feedback [1] on the assessment framework for the decision on whether or not the in-person IETF 109 Bangkok needs to switch to an online meeting and the fee structure if it does.  This was the same framework used for the IETF 108 decision and same fee structure used for IETF 108 Online.  The final assessment framework and fee structure are now published [2] and will be used next week when the assessment is made.

Two changes were made as a result of the consultation:

1.  If the only thing preventing an in-person meeting is a ban on mass gatherings above 500 people then we will move to a further assessment round to see how many intend to participate in-person rather than automatically shifting online.

2.  We will check for the general availability and cost of travel insurance to see if there is a general issue with obtaining appropriate travel insurance.

It should be noted that a new Working Group has been chartered, SHMOO (Stay Home Meet Only Online) that will be looking at the future of online meetings, including the assessment criteria and fee structures.  We will be following the discussions in SHMOO and will ensure that those discussions inform IETF 109 planning to the extent possible, given the short time frame.  We understand that time is short, but if the SHMOO working group has reached consensus relevant to the criteria by 24 August 2020 then that will be incorporated into the assessment, and if it has reached consensus relevant to the fee structure by 31 August 2020 then that too will take precedence over this consultation, even before IETF consensus is reached.

Please send any additional feedback to manycouches@ietf.org so that it can be used as input by the SHMOO working group.

Finally, just to note that the results of the IETF 108 post-meeting survey were published last week [3].

[1]  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/6H94Dv0JmoRwY2Fyhfp29lhMv1M/
[2]  https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/109/assessment-framework-person-vs-online-ietf-109-meeting/
[3]  https://www.ietf.org/blog/ietf-108-meeting-survey/

--