Protocol Action: 'Reconfigure Triggered by DHCPv6 Relay Agents' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure-07.txt)

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Thu, 23 May 2013 19:18 UTC

From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Reconfigure Triggered by DHCPv6 Relay Agents' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure-07.txt)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 11:51:48 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Reconfigure Triggered by DHCPv6 Relay Agents'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-triggered-reconfigure/

Technical Summary:

This document defines new DHCPv6 messages: Reconfigure-Request and
Reconfigure-Reply. Reconfigure-Request message is sent by a DHCPv6
relay agent to notify a DHCPv6 server about a configuration
information change, so that the DHCPv6 server can send a Reconfigure
message accordingly. Reconfigure-Reply message is used by the server
to acknowledge the receipt of Reconfigure-Request.

Working Group Summary:

This document was proposed in the working group in August 2012 as an
extension to trigger client reconfiguration, via the DHCPv6 server,
when configuration changes are made on the relay agent. The work was
adopted as a WG item in September 2012 as there was good support and
interest for the work.

Document Quality:

I'm not aware of any existing implementations. This is something that
a number of folks and relay agent vendors have requested, and we
expect to see implementation in relay agents and servers.. I think
everyone who provided substantive review of the document is mentioned
in the acknowledgements section.

Personnel:

Bernie Volz is the document shepherd. Ted Lemon is the responsible AD.