Subject: Document Action: 'Use of Password Based Message Authentication Code 1 (PBMAC1) in PKCS #12 Syntax' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-lamps-pkcs12-pbmac1-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 08:41:43 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Use of Password Based Message Authentication Code 1 (PBMAC1) in PKCS
   #12 Syntax'
  (draft-ietf-lamps-pkcs12-pbmac1-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX
and SMIME Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Paul Wouters and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-pkcs12-pbmac1/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies additions and amendments to RFCs 7292 and
   8018.  It defines a way to use the Password Based Message
   Authentication Code 1, defined in RFC 8018, inside the PKCS #12
   syntax.  The purpose of this specification is to permit use of more
   modern Password-Based Key Derivation Functions (PBKDFs) and allow for
   regulatory compliance.

Working Group Summary

There was nothing notable during the WG's development of this document.

Document Quality

There has been some code written.  It was used for the test vectors in the document.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd for this document is Russ Housley. 

The Responsible Area Director is Roman Danyliw.