Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mops-treedn-04.txt> (TreeDN- Tree-based CDNs for Live Streaming to Mass Audiences) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:34:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Media OPerationS WG (mops) to
consider the following document: - 'TreeDN- Tree-based CDNs for Live
Streaming to Mass Audiences'
  <draft-ietf-mops-treedn-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2024-05-06. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   As Internet audience sizes for high-interest live events reach
   unprecedented levels and bitrates climb to support 4K/8K/Augmented
   Reality (AR), live streaming can place a unique type of stress upon
   network resources.  TreeDN is a tree-based CDN architecture designed
   to address the distinctive scaling challenges of live streaming to
   mass audiences.  TreeDN enables operators to offer Replication-as-
   a-Service (RaaS) at a fraction the cost of traditional, unicast-based
   CDNs- in some cases, at no additional cost to the infrastructure.  In
   addition to efficiently utilizing network resources to deliver
   existing multi-destination traffic, this architecture also enables
   new types of content and use cases that previously were not possible
   or economically viable using traditional CDN approaches.  Finally,
   TreeDN is a decentralized architecture and a democratizing technology
   in the way that it makes content distribution more accessible to more
   people by dramatically reducing the costs of replication.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mops-treedn/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.