Subject: Protocol Action: 'TLS Encrypted Client Hello' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tls-esni-25.txt)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: The IESG <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2025 10:23:43 -0700
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TLS Encrypted Client Hello'
  (draft-ietf-tls-esni-25.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Paul Wouters and Deb Cooley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-esni/

Technical Summary

   This document describes a mechanism in Transport Layer Security (TLS)
   for encrypting a ClientHello message under a server public key.

Working Group Summary

  The document has broad consensus. While there are some concerns about the
  ease with with this can (and is) being filtered, extension work to prevent
  this in the future has started and will not require changes to this document.

Document Quality

   Draft versions of this protocol have been deployed and tested at scale. A
   number of vendors have implemented this protocol and tested interoperability. 
   Some of the implementers include: Server Side - Google, Cloudflare Client Side,
   Firefox, Chrome

   There is code available several libraries including OpenSSL, BoringSSL and rustls

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Joseph A. Salowey. The
   Responsible Area Director is Paul Wouters.