Subject: WG Action: Formed Media Over QUIC (moq)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 09:15:18 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Media Over QUIC (moq)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: BOF WG

Chairs:
  Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
  Alan Frindell <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
  Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/moq
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/moq/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/moq/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-moq/

Media over QUIC (moq) will develop a simple low-latency media delivery
solution for ingest and distribution of media. This solution addresses use
cases including live streaming, gaming, and media conferencing and will scale
efficiently. The solution will be implementable in both browser and
non-browser endpoints.

The work focuses on building protocol mechanisms for publication of media and
means to identify and receive the media.

The media publication protocol will enable sending media including audio,
video, and timed metadata, such as closed captions and cue points. The common
protocol for publishing media for ingest and distribution will support:

* one or more media formats

* an interoperable way to indicate the media and the media format being sent

* rate adaptation strategies based on changing codec rates, changing chosen
media encoding/qualities, or other mechanisms

* cache friendly media mechanisms

The mechanism to name and receive media will enable:

* Requesting the server start sending media related to a given point in the
stream

* Selection of desired encoding (choosing language, bit rate, etc.)

Media will be mapped onto underlying QUIC mechanisms (QUIC streams and/or
QUIC datagrams) and can be used over raw QUIC or WebTransport.

The proposed solution will provide extensibility for supporting different
media formats and will support multiple media types and media encodings.

The working group will define MoQ so that the media publication protocol can
leverage coordinating relays, caches, or replication points wherever
applicable to improve the delivery performance.

The solution will specify a simple method for clients to authenticate to the
relay or server to transmit or receive media. Media will be encrypted at the
transport layer using the standard QUIC mechanisms. Media content may be
end-to-end encrypted in certain use cases, where the "end-to-end" keys are
available to media sources and consumers, but not relays. Even when media
content is end-to-end encrypted, the relays can access metadata needed for
caching (such as timestamp), making media forwarding decisions (such as drop
or delay under congestion), and so on. Such media metadata will be
authenticated and integrity-protected end-to-end. Mechanisms for establishing
keys for these end-to-end protections are outside the scope of this group.

This working group will not propose changes to the underlying QUIC transport,
but may propose requirements for QUIC extensions to the QUIC WG. This working
group will not define signaling mechanisms for discovery of relay or media
producers or consumers.

This working group will coordinate with the QUIC, WebTransport, and MOPS
working groups as needed. It will liaise with MPEG Systems WG, DASH Industry
Forum, and W3C WebTransport as appropriate.

Milestones:

  Dec 2022 - WG adoption of Protocol Specification for Common Media
  Publication Protocol over QUIC

  Dec 2022 - WG adoption of Protocol Specification for the use of the
  Datagram Extension for Media Publication Protocol over QUIC

  Dec 2022 - WG adoption of Protocol Specification for Media Subscription
  Protocol over QUIC

  Dec 2022 - WG adoption of Architecture Specification for a Common Media
  Delivery Protocol over QUIC

  Dec 2022 - WG adoption of Use Cases and Requirements document for Media
  Delivery over QUIC

  Jun 2023 - Forward Protocol Specification for Common Media Publication
  Protocol over QUIC draft to IESG

  Jun 2023 - Forward Protocol Specification for the use of the Datagram
  Extension for Media Publication Protocol over QUIC draft to IESG

  Jun 2023 - Forward Protocol Specification for Media Subscription Protocol
  over QUIC draft to IESG

  Jun 2023 - Forward Architecture Specification for a Common Media Delivery
  Protocol over QUIC draft to IESG