Subject: RFC 5693 on Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Problem Statement
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: "IETF announcement list. No discussions." <ietf-announce.ietf.org>

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5693

        Title:      Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Problem 
                    Statement 
        Author:     J. Seedorf, E. Burger
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 34234
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5693.txt

Distributed applications -- such as file sharing, real-time
communication, and live and on-demand media streaming -- prevalent on
the Internet use a significant amount of network resources.  Such
applications often transfer large amounts of data through connections
established between nodes distributed across the Internet with little
knowledge of the underlying network topology.  Some applications are
so designed that they choose a random subset of peers from a larger
set with which to exchange data.  Absent any topology information
guiding such choices, or acting on suboptimal or local information
obtained from measurements and statistics, these applications often
make less than desirable choices.

This document discusses issues related to an information-sharing
service that enables applications to perform better-than-random peer
selection.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute