Re: [rfc-i] Glenn Kowack appointed as Transitional RFC Series Editor

Glenn Kowack <glenn@riveronce.com> Sat, 27 February 2010 05:02 UTC

Subject: Re: [rfc-i] Glenn Kowack appointed as Transitional RFC Series Editor
From: Glenn Kowack <glenn@riveronce.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:02:51 -0500
To: IETF Announcement list <ietf-announce@ietf.org>, RFC Interest <rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org>

As the newly appointed Transitional RSE, Olaf asked me to introduce myself to the community.

I first got onto the ARPANET in the mid-1970s while studying computer science at the University of Illinois.  Since then, I've done networking and operating systems (mostly UNIX) R&D first as a programmer and later as director of a UNIX R&D center.  I even managed an ARPANET IMP.  For the past 20 years I've been leading networking start-ups in Europe and the US: I was founding CEO of EUnet, Europe's first commercial internet service provider, and founding CEO of NextHop Technologies, which developed routing software. I've also been on the boards of international internet organizations such as Ebone and the Commercial Internet Exchange (CIX), and was a VP for Strategy and Planning at ISOC in the late 1990s.

I've done a lot of of organizational development in corporations, including creating and leading teams of technical writers, and have done my share of technical writing.  I've published ACM and IEEE articles on Internet and technology history and policy. I worked closely with Jon Postel as IANA's delegate to the Policy Oversight Committee, which provided leadership in the gTLD debates that led to ICANN's formation.

My association with the 'IETF' began in the late 1970s when I was on Jon Postel's mailing lists.  I attended my first IETF in the early 1990s and have been a frequent participant since then.  I've led or worked with engineering teams that contributed to protocol standards, largely radius and routing.  However, I've never personally written an RFC.

My experience qualifies me as a long-standing participant in the IETF, and gives me an understanding of and appreciation for its history, processes, and culture.  However, I have not been intimately involved in administration of the RFC editorial process.  This combination affords me a broad perspective, but no specific opinions or biases regarding the current situation.  That means I'm starting from a blank page, which I will fill by working closely with the entire community.  The IAB has made it very clear that I'm to work with complete independence of process and analytical method, which I will do.

I am calling for interested community members to contact me to share your thinking about the RSE function.  Your input is essential to fulfilling my mission.  For at least several weeks, you'll hear me say "I don't know - I haven't enough information to form an opinion about that yet.  What do you think?"

I hope you will find me a most open-minded and interested listener.  I look forward to working with all of you on this critically important project.

best regards,
Glenn
Transitional RFC Series Editor
___