Subject: Protocol Action: 'An Abstract Application Layer Interface to Transport Services' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-taps-interface-26.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:29:45 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Abstract Application Layer Interface to Transport Services'
  (draft-ietf-taps-interface-26.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Services Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Zaheduzzaman Sarker and Francesca Palombini.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-taps-interface/

Technical Summary

   This document describes an abstract application programming
   interface, API, to the transport layer that enables the selection of
   transport protocols and network paths dynamically at runtime.  This
   API enables faster deployment of new protocols and protocol features
   without requiring changes to the applications.  The specified API
   follows the Transport Services architecture by providing
   asynchronous, atomic transmission of messages.  It is intended to
   replace the BSD sockets API as the common interface to the transport
   layer, in an environment where endpoints could select from multiple
   interfaces and potential transport protocols.

Working Group Summary

   This document reached broad agreement, with contributions from most active WG
members.

Document Quality

  This document specifies and abstract API for the Transport Services reference
architecture described in the -arch draft; the proposed API is based on
experience gained in one widely deployed production implementation and two open
implementations deployed for research purposes, as listed in Appendix C of the
-implementation draft.
  This draft has benefited from broad TSV area review within the WG itself, and
has had secdir and artart early review.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Anna Brunstrom. The
   Responsible Area Director is Zaheduzzaman Sarker.