IETF 113 will be a hybrid onsite/online meeting in Vienna, Austria

IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org> Wed, 22 December 2021 01:42 UTC

From: IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org>
Subject: IETF 113 will be a hybrid onsite/online meeting in Vienna, Austria
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:41:52 +1300
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>

IETF 113 will be held as a hybrid onsite/online meeting with the onsite element in Vienna, Austria at the Hilton Vienna Park from 19-25 March 2022.  This is a location change from the originally planned Bangkok, Thailand.

# Decision making

In making this decision the IETF Administration LLC has carefully considered the current circumstances, the desire of the community and the guidance of the IESG to answer a series of questions:

1.  Is it possible to hold an international onsite meeting?

We believe that it is now possible to hold an international meeting, as has been shown by the recent IGF meeting among others, provided that sensible precautions are taken and that the chosen venue has clear and workable rules.  Austria has clear and workable rules for entry into the country and conferences and restaurants.

Clearly, the omicron variant is quickly spreading and some countries are responding to that with lockdowns and other restrictions.  However, we are willing to take the risk that this will be sufficiently managed by the time of the meeting that it can go ahead.

2.  Is it safe to hold an international onsite meeting?

We believe that it is acceptably safe to hold an international meeting.  COVID-19 is now endemic in most countries and the mitigations and precautions are well understood and practised.   Austria in particular has strict rules regarding entry to the country and in-country movement, excellent access to tests and strict controls on the unvaccinated.

A strong majority of IETF participants reside in countries with easy access to vaccines, including a booster shot. Unvaccinated people will not be able to enter the country or participate onsite at the meeting, and the IESG has advised that this exclusion of unvaccinated people should not be considered discriminatory.

The US State Dept currently rates Austria at "level 4 - do not travel", but sufficient numbers of staff, contractors and supporting volunteers are willing to travel despite this that we are wiling to take the risk.

3.  Is it viable to hold an onsite meeting and what will the experience be for both those onsite and those online?

The IESG has advised that a meeting of approximately 50% the size of a normal in person meeting (~500 people) is acceptable.  We cannot be certain that this number will wish to participate onsite but we are willing to take the risk.

This will not be a normal onsite meetings, it will be a hybrid onsite/online meeting with changes made so that any disadvantage to those who choose not to travel will be minimised.  The IESG is planning a shorter working day similar to fully online meetings and new technology is being provided by Meetecho to provide a more integrated session experience.

We believe that the financial risk is acceptable.  The contract has a strong force majeure cancellation clause and a strong cancel-and-rebook clause.

4.  is it the right thing to do?

Many in our community want to meet in person again and believe that the risk in doing so is acceptable and we believe that supporting this is the right thing to do.  Moving back to normal meetings will inevitably take multiple steps and this is the first of those.

We are well aware that some will regard this as the wrong decision given the risks to personal safety involved.  However as nobody is required to participate in person (that includes staff, contractors and supporting volunteers), nor should any participants feel pressure to be onsite, we believe that we are finding the correct balance between personal choice, personal safety and meeting experience.

The formal assessment is https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/IETF_113_Vienna_go_no-go_assessment.pdf

Finally, just to note: as this decision is being made with less than 14 weeks to go until the meeting, this qualifies as an emergency situation under RFC 9137 and so this decision has been made without community consultation.

# Registrations

Registrations will open in the new year when we have updated the registration system and sorted out European VAT.  At that time we will provide details of what to expect both in travelling and our onsite COVID-management practises so that you can make an informed decision.  Registration fees will be the same for onsite participation as they have been previously.

If you have any questions or wish to discuss this further then please either reply to admin-discuss@ietf.org or directly to me at exec-director@ietf.org

Jay

--
Jay Daley