Subject: Protocol Action: 'Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps with additional information' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:24:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps with additional information'
  (draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Serialising Extended Data About Times and
Events Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Francesca Palombini.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended/

Technical Summary

   This document defines an extension to the timestamp format defined in
   RFC3339 for representing additional information including a time
   zone.

   It updates RFC3339 in the specific interpretation of the local offset
   Z, which is no longer understood to "imply that UTC is the preferred
   reference point for the specified time"; see Section 2.

Working Group Summary

The WG consensus was broad. SEDATE is not the biggest WG, but there were enough
active participants during its development that agreed the I-D was ready to
proceed down the road to satisfy both chairs. Several of the participants are
implementers. Additionally, some of the WG participants also participate in
other standards bodies where this work is considered.

Only a single contentious issue emerged. We found an interoperability problem
(a special interpretation of what -0000 means) with the way that RFC 3339
handles timestamps that do not want to provide a hint about time zone offsets.
This issue was resolved through booth discussions on the mailing list and at
IETF 114 and IETF 115, and resolved in this document updating 3339.

Document Quality

Several participants in SEDATE have indicated that they will be implementing
the changes in this draft. Those implementations are both in commercial
software, open source software and changes to libraries that manage
date/timestamps.

draft-ietf-sedate-datetime-extended is also related to work going on in TICTOC,
CBOR and CALEXT. Some of the discussions in SEDATE have been cross-posted into
those groups and many active participants who agreed to consensus in SEDATE are
also active participants in TICTOC, CBOR and CALEXT.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Mark McFadden. The
   Responsible Area Director is Francesca Palombini.